Moon & Stars (Van Doren) Watermelon
- Elongated fruits grow to 24 inches long
- Fruits weigh up to 10-16 pounds
- Sweet pink flesh
- Speckled rind with “moon” and “star” markings
- 95 days
Sow seeds outdoors in 12″ diameter hills after danger of frost has passed and soil has warmed. Space hills 8′ apart in all directions. Seeds will germinate in 4-10 days. Can also be started indoors 4 weeks before transplanting out. Watermelons love heat and prefer sandy or light-textured soils.
Out of stock
The 15″ dark green oval fruits are covered with pea-sized, bright yellow “stars” and usually one larger “moon”. Foliage is also spotted. The fruits have sweet pink flesh and brown seeds. This watermelon created a sensation in 1981 when Merle Van Doren of Macon, Missouri shared this legendary variety with SSE. 90-95 days.
- Oval fruits grow to 15 inches long
- Fruits are covered with pea-sized bright yellow “stars” and usually one larger “moon”
- Spotted foliage
- Sweet pink flesh with brown seeds
- 90-95 days
This variety will grow well in most regions of the United States.